Friday, May 8, 2009

Indestructible Potions

I thought I'd put together a post about one of my favourite, and I believe highly underused, consumables in the game. It is called the "Indestructible Potion" and is made from two Icethorn and an Imbued Vial. What it does is increase your armor by 3500 for 2 minutes. However, what isn't on the potion is that it can actually increase your armor by 4 minutes if used properly during a fight. Given that we really don't have any other potions to use, I try to pop at least one of these on every fight that's remotely hard. Remember that time you died to a 50 health overkill? This would have saved you.

How then do I use this twice during a fight? Can't you only use one potion per fight? Actually, there's a workaround that people used to use with resistance potions. The once-per-fight potion cooldown doesn't kick in unless you are in combat. What this means is that you can drink one of these things before a fight begins and then drink another one during the fight when the potion wears off. That gives you a grand total of four minutes of 3500 extra armor, though the first two minutes need to be at the beginning of the fight (and you have to remember!). However, 3500 armor is huge, representing over a 9% reduction in physical damage. It can and often will make the difference between life and death.

It's too bad, in a lot of ways, that we've gotten out of the habit of using potions. They cost about 4 or 5 gold each to make, meaning at most it's 8 or 10 gold per attempt. That's about the same cost as food, and it makes more of a difference in survivability than most food does. I think we've gotten out of the habit of using these kinds of performance-enhancing potions since the potion changes in 3.0. Before then, I'd easily chew through 25 Free Action Potions in Mount Hyjal and 20 Super Mana Potions in a ZA bear run. Casters chained mana pots throughout battles. It was expected. Now potions tend to be forgotten about when players think of the consumables they will bring.

However, surviving really is our job, and these potions are a bargain. If I've upgraded a piece of gear lately for 1000 gold, that's over 100 attempts of double potting. I guarantee that 3500 armor gives more survivability than any possible gear upgrade. Being a tank is expensive and raiding is expensive, but it's part of the job, and every time the raid wipes, it costs money in repairs, time, food buff and elixirs. Indestructible potions are far and away the best performance-enhancing potion available to tanks, and I am very happy that they are around.

By the way, as someone else noted on wowhead, these potions are, in fact, destructible.

3 comments:

Cassini said...

This is...this is great. I simply must remember to look for a stack of these on the AH sometime.

Having only just dinged 80 (and now trying to get myself heroic-ready) these will help make some difference to the poor healers that will be trying to keep me alive!

And yeah...the general lack of potion use. I'm now up to 45 health and 45 mana pots in my bags just because I never get to use them anymore. I remember on my mage during TBC, that if my mana gems and potions weren't on perma-cooldown I was doing something wrong. :)

Sarevok said...

Thanks for this very informative post. :)

Eanin said...

You're welcome!

Post a Comment